Are you seeking relief for your missing teeth? At Lutz Family Dentistry, we have the best solution for you! While you may hear of suggestions like bridges and dentures, dental implants are leaps and bounds beyond these other restorative options. That’s because they are the only prosthetic appliance that bonds with and benefits your natural anatomy.
A dental implant is a small titanium rod that is surgically placed in your jawbone – this substitutes your tooth root! Over time, the rod begins to fuse to your bone tissue, effectively harnessing the strength of your jaw and the security of the newly formed socket. Once the area is fully healed, it is just as reliable as a natural, healthy tooth root! With the implant placed, the following additions are made to finalize the artificial tooth:
- Abutment – A connecting element that is applied to the tip of the implant. This piece serves as a foundation for your restorative appliance.
- Crown or bridge – The full dental implant is completed with the addition of a custom-made crown or bridge. This is the piece that sits above your gum tissue and serves to replace one or more missing teeth.
The dental implant is capable of not only restoring your smile, but it can also change your life! Call our Lutz, FL, office today to schedule your FREE consultation!
Why Dental Implants?
Rather than deciding on a denture or bridge, an implant should be first considered due to its wide array of unique benefits.
- One advantage that we find most incredible is the ability of the implant to preserve natural facial contours. What often happens after tooth loss is that the jawbone begins to shrink and erode due to a lack of stimulation. When the tooth root is no longer present, the jawbone will deteriorate. This means that facial tissue will be left unsupported and begin to sag, creating the appearance of wrinkles and other effects of premature aging. With an implant, the bone remains stimulated and will not erode or wear away. By using the implant when you speak, eat, or use your tooth in any other way, you are able to strengthen the jawbone.
- Another advantage of dental implants is that they last for the rest of your life, if cared for properly. This means regular brushing and flossing, as well as seeking treatment for any minor or major dental concerns. Once the implant is placed and healed, it will remain secure for years to come; in fact, the only piece needing to be replaced will be the crown every 15 years.
A single dental implant is an implant designed to replace a single missing tooth. This is ideal for patients with one missing tooth or missing teeth that are in different areas throughout the mouth. The procedure for this type of implant follows the below steps:
- Beginning with a free consultation, we will determine the precise placement of the implant in your jawbone.
- Once prepared for surgery, we will schedule an appointment for implant placement.
- Utilizing proper anesthetic to numb your mouth, a small incision will be made in the gum tissue above the implant placement area.
- We will access the jawbone through this opening and insert the implant rod into the bone.
- The area will then be sutured closed for healing.
Over the next few months, the bone and implant will begin to fuse together. Once this process is complete, we will finish the procedure by placing your abutment and custom-made crown.
An implant-supported bridge follows the same process as a single implant, and the prosthetic appears the same as a traditional bridge – the only difference is that rather than attaching the appliance to neighboring, healthy teeth, the bridge is connected to implants. This leads to numerous benefits; such as the following:
- There is no need to alter or contour your healthy, natural teeth; they remain healthy and well-maintained.
- With implants, there is no chance of a bone loss occurring below the gum line; implants will keep the bone stimulated!
- Bridges supported by implants are much healthier and more natural; instead of only replacing the visible portion of the teeth, implants replace the tooth root as well.
Regain Your Smile & Take Back Your Life!
It’s difficult to put into words the feeling that patients get when they are introduced to their new smile. It’s an incredible moment filled with joy, emotion, and an overwhelming realization that this is where a new chapter begins. This is a moment of change for those who have spent years hiding their smile, incapable of chewing their favorite foods, afraid of going out in public, and doubting their dentures. Once implants are placed and completed, life changes dramatically for the better.
Don’t just take our word for it – see for yourself when you have YOUR new implants! It’s time to smile again, it’s time to invest in your future. Call our office today to schedule your FREE implant consultation.